Friday, January 15, 2010

How do or do you tip a barber?

I recently just moved to a new area and am desperately in need of a hair cut. My old barber who had been cutting my hair since I was a kid never took tips, I didn't even realize people in this porfession took tips until watch the people's court. When I go out to eat, I usually am a gracious tipper, but I don't know how or how much to tip a barber. Some people say it comps them for chair rental, but I am usued to going to private barbers who don't have that issue.





Ultimately, I am more concerned with the how. It's not like he has a plate to leave it under or soemthing, and how much is appropriate.How do or do you tip a barber?
my dad is a barber, and haircuts are $9. Alot of customers give him a 10 and say keep the change. A tip for a haircut should not be much, maybe a buck. Just give it when you get your change for the haircutHow do or do you tip a barber?
I AM A BARBER -- Here is the thing... if you don't tip trust me you are remembered. Even a dollar and your cool.

Report Abuse



I always round up to the nearest $5 increment, or if its really close to it I'll just give $5, unless it was an awful awful haircut. I get tips at my job, and I understand how much people in tipping professions appreciate their tips and need them to make a living. Don't be cheap.
tip at least a dollar, a couple maybe. A salon more. Hand it back to him from the change, or better yet, have the right amount of money with you and just add the tip. Men do it, but don't make a big deal of it.





***men's barbers, and hairstyling salons are not the same, and the ettiquette is different****
An appropriate tip for a hairstylist depends on several factors. Did someone other than the hairstylist shampoo your hair for example? Did the work take several hours? Did you have a manicure or wax at the same time, by other workers in the salon?





In general, a simple haircut by one person, or a wash and cut, usually requires a tip of 10-15%. However, if some of the work is farmed out to other people, such as shampooing, the tip should be closer to the 10% mark. One tips someone shampooing the hair between one to two US dollars (USD). The larger amount is better when the person shampooing your hair doesn鈥檛 dribble water down your back or seem excessively rough.





Generally the tip to the shampoo-person should be given in cash, so it is a good idea to carry a few extra ones for this purpose. Conversely, a tip to a stylist can often be added to the bill if one is using a check or credit card for payment.
I love living in australia. it is not a custom to tip you hair dresser here
HAha i never tip. It's not like they go out of their way to cut your hair. Do they? No! They don't. You go to them. They should tip you for being their customer. If you make an appointment and have the same person cutting your hair, then yeah give a tip, 2 bucks is decent. My trick is , I never go to the same barber shop twice in a row. i go to about 5 different places
in some salons you need to


you give them like 6 to 15 bucks


or lower then 15.


you put it in a envilope


with your barbers name on it.
I was always told that you should do 20% of the cost of it. Its the best way to do it.
It depends if your barber owns the shop or pays for his chair. If he owns the shop you don't have to tip. If he rents the space, I just round up what he charges to the next amount. I.e. $12 cut $3 tip. I don't think there is a set amount percentage-wise as with food servers.
just hand it to him and say good job
At the place I usually go to, a hair cut costs about $17. I just give the person a $20 dollar bill and tell them to keep the change.
How do I tip a barber? Usually I tip with cash money although sexual favors may be a viable alternative, or bake 'em a cake....





NO SERIOUSLY, ONLY KIDDING HAH HAH...





...$2, always $2.... surely that is more than enough and a dollar does not feel right. One rule of thumb is not to tip the OWNER if they cut your hair, only an employee but I just tip 2 and that is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment